Under certain conditions, there may be a delay when opening ArcMap with Arc Hydro Tools installed.
• Opening ArcMap when the Arc Hydro Toolbox is in the ArcToolbox window and the ArcToolbox window is visible
• Opening the ArcToolbox window in ArcMap when the Arc Hydro Toolbox was added in the previous session
• Clicking the Arc Hydro Toolbox in the ArcMap Catalog window when the Arc Hydro Tools are not visible in the ArcToolbox window or when the ArcToolbox window is closed
In these cases, the system tries to validate the models in the toolbox, in particular the preset variables, by checking whether these variables are in the default user geodatabase. This validation process can take anywhere from a few seconds to an hour depending on the network and on the location of the default workspace (local/remote).
The instructions provided describe how to improve performance when opening ArcMap with Arc Hydro Tools installed.
- If the Arc Hydro Toolbox is not being used, remove it from the ArcToolbox window by default and add it back only when it is needed.
Performance is affected when the Arc Hydro Toolbox is added again.
- If the Arc Hydro Tools are being used but the models are not being used, create a modified toolbox that does not contain any models to prevent hits to the performance.