Instructions provided describe how to create fields containing the maximum and/or minimum coordinates of a polygon feature class for each polygon feature.
The XY coordinates are in the units and coordinate system of the feature class. Re-project the data if the coordinates need to represent a different system.
- Open ArcMap and navigate to ArcToolbox > Data Management Tools > Features > Feature Vertices to Points. Set the input as the polygon feature class to create a point shapefile of all the vertices. Click OK.
- Navigate to ArcToolbox > Data Management Tools > Features > Add XY Coordinates. Set the input to the new point shapefile to add the XY coordinate fields. Click OK.
- Navigate to ArcToolbox > Analysis Tools > Summary Statistics. Set the input to the point shapefile. Set four summary fields: two PointX and two PointY. Click the Statistic Type next to each of the PointX and PointY to Max and Min to obtain the Max and Min for each of the PointX and PointY fields. Click OK.
- Right-click the original polygon feature class in the Table of Contents and go to Joins and Relates > Join. Set the join field to a unique field in the feature class, such as the OID. Set the join table to the table created from Summary Statistics. Set the join field to the same field as the feature class. Click OK.
- Right-click the joined polygon feature class and select Data > Export Data. Export the feature class to a new feature class to make the join permanent.