Instructions provided describe how to create contours from XY data using 3D Analyst.
- Start ArcCatalog.
- Browse to the table that contains the XY data.
- Right-click on the table and select Create Feature Class > From XY Table.
- Select the X Field and the Y Field and leave the Z Field as <none>.
- Select an appropriate coordinate system.
- Specify an output shapefile or feature class and click OK.
This tool is documented in ArcGIS Desktop Help > Contents > ArcCatalog > Exploring the values in a table > Creating new data sources from the values in a table.
- Convert the points to a surface with one of the two methods below.
� Convert the points to a raster surface using a Surface Interpolation method available in 3D Analyst.
These interpolators are described in detail in:
ArcGIS Desktop Help > Contents > Extensions > 3D Analyst > Creating Surface models
� Create a TIN from the input points.
See the ArcGIS Desktop Help > Contents > Extensions > 3D Analyst > Creating Surface models.
- Create contours from your surface using the Contours tool in 3D Analyst > Surface Analysis.
- Select the Input surface from the dropdown list.
- Select a Base Contour and a Contour Interval based on the "Input height range".
- Set a Z factor, if necessary.
- Specify an output feature class and click OK.
For information can be found in the ArcGIS Desktop Help > Contents > Extensions > 3D Analyst > Analyzing surfaces > Deriving contour lines from a surface.