Instructions provided describe how to work with the 'Create an extents list file' option on the Extents tab of the PerfQAnalyzer tool.PerfQAnalyzer is a free, non-supported tool offered to the Esri user community that can be used to assist users in calibrating ArcGIS performance. The PerfQAnalyzer tool can run as an ArcMap add-in or as a standalone application.The PerfQAnalyzer Extents tab can be used to create new extents, as well as work with existing, random map extents. This tab also includes functionality for creating an extent list file, which is a comma-separated values (.csv) file that contains the min/max X,Y coordinates of map extents. These output map extents are used for operating other functions with the PerfQAnalyzer tool, such as collecting editing and rendering performance test metrics. To collect performance metrics of ArcGIS rendering and editing, see the Related Information section for more details.The latest version of PerfQAnalyzer, 10.8 (Build 173), is compatible with the earlier released versions of ArcGIS, 10.2 through 10.7.1.
The tool may be downloaded from the following link:
The Create an extent list file option on the Extents tab creates a comma-separated values (.csv) file which delineates the min/max x,y coordinates of map extents. Users first create random map extents within the current map extent. Users can then preview these extents, modify them if necessary, and then save an extents list file.
- Open an existing ArcGIS map document (.mxd) containing the layers upon which the random map extents are based.
- Use the Zoom tools to zoom in or out of the mapped area to generate random map extents.
- If necessary, click the Pin Tabs button located within the upper right corner of the PerfQAnalyzer tool to open the tool options.
- Click the Extents tab in the PerfQAnalyzer tool.
- Select the option Create an extents list file from the pull down list.
- Within the Extents File section of the PerfQAnalyzer tool, click the Browse button to indicate where the extents file (.csv) is to be saved.
This does not save the extent file to disk. It is necessary to preview the extents within the map window first.
- If necessary, click on the plus sign next to Preview Options to expand the property.
- Within the Preview Options, type in the number of extents to be generated.
- Click the Preview Map Extents button to generate map extents.
- By default, the PerfQAnalyzer tool generates map extents based upon the current map extent. This default behavior does not take existing mapped features in consideration. If it is necessary to generate extents based upon features, expand the Feature Classes option in the PerfQAnalyzer tool and click the Get Feature Classes button. If it is not desired to generate map extents based upon feature, proceed to Step 14.
- Select the feature class that holds features upon which the map extents are to be based.
- In the Preview Options, click the option Based On Features.
- To generate the map extents, click the Preview Feature Extents button.
- The extents are drawn on top of the map screen. By default, the map extents are labeled. The labeling properties can be modified by modifying the Display option. Click the plus sign next to the Display Settings to expand the property.
- Modify the label properties as appropriate and click the refresh button to update labels.
- If not satisfied with the placement of the random map extents, the tool can regenerate the random map extents by clicking the Clear Map Extent button.
- To regenerate the map extents, click the Preview Random Extents button.
If generating map extents based upon features, click on the Preview Feature Extents button.
- If the maps extents do not meet expectations, and it is desired to manually move the extents, click the Pointer tool above the map window and click an extent to manually move or resize it.
- Click the Save button in the Extent File section of PerfQAnalyzer to save the extents list file.