The GIS Portal Toolkit (GPT) MapViewer is capable of handling data in local projections. Its default basemap, as well as any other layers that are added to the viewer dynamically, can be projected. Instructions provided outline the procedure for configuring the MapViewer's default settings to work with a local projection.
- Create an AXL file for the data, making sure to specify the projection information for all the data layers using the <COORDSYS> tag. Specify the projection information for the map itself using the <FEATURECOORDSYS> and <FILTERCOORDSYS> tags.
- Create an ArcIMS Image service for this AXL file.
- Open the <Tomcat Install Dir>\webapps\Portal\WEB-INF\classes\ptk.xml file in Notepad. Edit the value of the <PtkBaseMapSvc> element, which is located near the bottom of the file, to match the name of the service created in step 2.
- Open the <Tomcat Install Dir>\webapps\arcexplorer\WEB-INF\classes\ArcExplorerWeb.properties file in Notepad. Edit the following variables:
a) basemap.service - near line 28, to reflect the name of the new service.
b) projection.id - near line 58, to specify the default projection ID the MapViewer should always open up in. This would most likely be the same ID as the ID specified in the FEATURECOORDSYS and FILTERCOORDSYS tags in the AXL file.
- For the changes made in steps 3 and 4 to take effect, restart the ArcExplorer application using the Tomcat Manager, or restart all of Tomcat, if doing so does not interfere with performance or functionality of the system.