Steps to configure a CalComp DrawingBoard III, 16 button digitizer.
1. Do not load the Calcomp drivers. If you have loaded any their DOS drivers, you need to remove them from the AUTOEXEC.BAT and/or CONFIG.SYS files. Those drivers usually begin with "C:\CALDB\.......". If you loaded the Calcomp drivers in Windows, you need to uninstall them.
2. Set the digitizer up using its menu by placing the cursor crosshairs over the Config/Exit button and press any button. The Configuration light will go on and you will hear a beep. If this does not work, the digitizer may have a hardware problem. The Configuration light should stay on until you select the Config/Exit button again to exit the configuration mode.
In the configuration mode, select Bank A by placing the crosshairs over the corresponding square and press any button. The Power light will go on. Move the crosshairs to each of the remaining squares. The Power light will tell you if you have set them or not. The following is the settings for each bank; '1' signifies on and '0' is off.
Bank A 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1
Bank B 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Be sure to save this before exiting the configuration.
3. If you need to use Stream Mode, configure the digitizer using the 'CAL9100' as the format file in the FILE | CONFIGURE | DIGITIZER dialog box of ARCW. When in point mode and using 'CAL9100' for the format file, crosshairs will appear on the screen drastically slowing down the input of points.
If you do not need Stream Mode then use the 'CAL9100' format file but make the following changes and then save it as 'CAL9100P'. You can make these changes can be made with a text editor (e.g. Edit in DOS, or Notepad in Windows):
'CAL9100P' CalComp 9100 digitizer with metal puck
1 Digitizer device #
'(A2,2F5.3)' Digitizer format
F No menu bar
F Single button mode off
73.0, 1.0, 0.0 X max, x scale, x offset
85.0, 1.0, 0.0 Y max, y scale, y offset
'0D' 0, '1D' 1, '2D' 2, '3D' 3, '4D' 4, '5D' 5, '6D' 6, '7D' 7
'8D' 8, '9D' 9, 'AD' 10, 'BD' 12
4. Use the following configuration choices in the FILE | CONFIGURE | DIGITIZER
DIGITIZER: CAL9100 or CAL9100P <-- depending on Stream or Point mode
PORT: x <-- where x = the COM port number
BAUD RATE: 9600
DATA BITS: 8
STOP BITS: 1
1. If the digitizer does not seem to pass DIGTESTW (for Windows) or DIGTEST (for DOS), it may be helpful to determine what type of data the digitizer is outputting (ASCII or BINARY). You can do this by using KERMIT, as described in document 12262.
2. If the digitizer appears to be streaming when testing with KERMIT, toggle the last bit (18) of bank B to 0 and try again.
3. On newer versions of this board there is a BANK C. The settings for BANK C are switch 3 is on and everything else is off.
Bank C 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0