Instructions provided describe how to enable ArcEditor or ArcInfo users to access the Polygon Feature Class From Lines command.
The ArcCatalog Polygon Feature Class From Lines command creates a new polygon feature class in a feature dataset using the shapes of one or more existing line feature classes. A point feature class can provide attributes for the new polygon features.
Polygon Feature Class From Lines was deprecated and removed from ArcCatalog in ArcGIS 10. Prior to ArcGIS 10, this command was available with an ArcEditor or ArcInfo license, but the Feature To Polygon geoprocessing tool that replaced it is only available to ArcInfo users.
ArcGIS 10 (Desktop, Engine, Server) Service Pack 1 (SP1) includes the Polygon Feature Class From Lines command. An ArcEditor or ArcInfo license is required. To use it, first install ArcGIS 10 SP1.
This functionality is only available in ArcCatalog, not the Catalog window.
Once ArcGIS 10 SP1 is installed, follow the steps below to access the command.
- Start ArcCatalog.
- Click the Customize menu and click Customize Mode. On the Toolbars tab, check the box next to Context Menus. Notice a toolbar opens that contains a list of context menus.
- Click the Commands tab. In the 'Show commands containing' box, type Polygon Feature Class From Lines. The command is in the Topology category.
- On the Context Menus toolbar, click the Context Menus menu to see a list of the available menus.
Scroll down and find the Feature Dataset Context Menu. Click it, and click New to open the sub-menu.
- With the Customize dialog box still open, drag the Polygon Feature Class From Lines icon from the Commands tab and drop it onto the Feature Dataset Context Menu > New menu. Close the Customize dialog box when done.
- In the Catalog tree, browse to the feature dataset where the new polygon feature class is going to be created. Right-click it, point to New, and click Polygon Feature Class From Lines.
- Type a name for the new polygon feature class, set the cluster tolerance, and check one or more line feature classes to use when creating the new polygons.
Optionally, click a point feature class to provide the attributes for the new polygons.