In some instances, importing a map document (.mxd) or a project package (.ppkx) to ArcGIS StoryMaps is preferred. However, importing a map document file is not possible because a web map is required when configuring a story map. Feature layers from a MXD file or a PPKX file must be published to ArcGIS Online as a feature service. The feature service is then saved as a web map in ArcGIS Online to be used in story maps.
The following instructions describe how to publish and use the feature layers as a web map in ArcGIS Online to create story maps.
- To publish the map layers as a feature service to ArcGIS Online, refer to ArcGIS Online: Publish from ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap.
- Save the feature layers as a web map in ArcGIS Online.
- On the Content tab, navigate to My Content and click the published hosted feature layer.
- On the Overview tab, click Open in Map Viewer and click Save > Save As to save the layers as a web map. A Save Map dialog box is opened.
The desired map layer published from both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro is published as a feature layer in ArcGIS Online.
- In the Save Map dialog box, fill in the required details and save the map in the desired folder. Click Save Map.
- Click Share > CREATE A WEB MAP > Configurable Apps > Build a Story Map and select the Story Map app. For more detailed steps to create a story map from a web app, refer to ArcGIS StoryMaps: Story Map Basic Tutorial.