The transition period is the time frame that an organization takes to move from the use of 8.x or previous software to the full use of 9.0 software. The transition period begins with the purchase of the 9.0 software and is complete when all licenses qualifying for maintenance in the organization have been upgraded to 9.0.
This article is intended to provide information on licensing during the transition period. For information on actual software transitions, see the appropriate installation guides.
To fully immerse an organization in the 9.0 product line, license management transition only requires the uninstallation of the 8.x or previous ESRI License Manager and installation of the ArcGIS 9 License Manager. If, however, during the transition period, organizations require maintaining older versions of the ESRI software while learning the new 9 products, be aware of the information below.
When upgrading the 8.x licenses to 9.0 by way of https://service.esri.com, ESRI generates two license files that are sent back to the organization:
1. A 9.0 license file that contains all the licenses oranizations have on maintenance (licenses that are entitled to upgrade).
2. An 8.x license file that contains the number of licenses organizations do not have on maintenance (or that organizations select not to upgrade). When upgrading all of the licenses to 9.0, this 8.x file is not generated.
While an organization is in transition, it is possible to continue use of the existing 8.x license file that is currently installed with the ESRI 8.x License Manager. However, once that transition period is complete, one of the following must be completed:
1. Uninstall the 8.x ESRI License Manager if all licenses have been upgraded.
2. Replace the existing 8.x license file with the new 8.x license file that was sent when upgrading the licenses on maintenance to 9.0.
When originally purchasing and receiving the ArcGIS 9 software, the License Agreement allows the retention of the original 8.x ESRI License Manager to be installed temporarily while transitioning to 9 software. To do this:
1. Leave the 8.x ESRI License Manager and clients untouched. No steps need to be taken with either.
2. Install the ArcGIS 9 License Manager on the same license server, or establish a different machine as the ArcGIS 9 license server.
3. During or after the ArcGIS 9 client installations, direct the machines to the 9 license server. If both 9.0 and 8.x License Managers are on the same machine, the client software uses the appropriate License Manager.
In keeping within the terms of the License Agreement, upon completion of the transition to 9.0, remove the original 8.x license file and install the new 8.x license file that was sent when upgrading the licenses to 9.0. To do this:
1. Leave the 9.0 ArcGIS License Manager and clients untouched. No steps need to be taken with either.
2. Uninstall the original 8.x ESRI License Manager from Add/Remove Programs and reinstall it using the 8.x Desktop or Workstation CD and the new 8.x license file that was sent when upgrading the licenses to 9.0.
3. ArcGIS 8.x clients do not need to be redirected as the license server machine is unchanged. Only the number of features will be different.
For more information and examples visit the FAQ section of the License Manager Reference Guide topic: "What is the Transition Period?".