When installing ArcGIS License Manager or running the Update License wizard, the following error occurs:
"The file C:\Program Files\ESRI\License\arcgis9x\ARCGIS_LM.LOG could not be opened. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."
This error occurs when the ArcGIS License Manager service is running while the install or update is being made.
Solution or Workaround
Follow the steps below to stop the ArcGIS License Manager service and install ArcGIS License Manager or run the Update License wizard.
- Navigate to Start > Programs > ArcGIS > License Manager (9.x) > License Manager Tools.
- Select 'Configuration Using Services' to the right of the globe image if it is not already selected and ensure 'ArcGIS License Manager' is highlighted.
- Click the Start/Stop/Reread tab.
- Click the Stop Server button.
- Run the ArcGIS License Manager installer or Update License wizard.
- Once it has completed, click the Start Server button, and then click the ReRead License File button to restart the service.