The following error may be returned in ArcInfo Workstation when trying to access an image catalog using the IMAGE command in ArcEdit or ArcPlot:"The dynamic link library lggmraster.dll could not be found in the specified path."
The Windows PATH variable value is too long. The maximum length is 256 characters. If the PATH variable element C:\arcgis\arcexe9x\bin or C:\arcgis\arcexe10x\bin are past the 256th character, the software cannot locate the lggmraster.dll necessary to draw images from the image catalog.
Solution or Workaround
Here are the steps to correct the PATH variable value.
These steps can only be performed by a user with Administrative permissions on the computer.
Close the ArcInfo Workstation command prompt or ArcTools before you begin.
- Go to Start > Control Panel (set as Small Icons) > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab, and click the Environment Variables button at the bottom of the dialog box.
- In the System Variables field at the bottom of the dialog box, scroll down to the variable named "Path". Select the variable, and click Edit.
- Carefully left-click with the mouse in the Variable value: box to unselect the path value, then scroll to the end of the variable value. Look for one of the following strings, depending on the version of ArcInfo Workstation that is installed:
This value is probably be close to, or at the end of, the PATH variable value.
- Cut that string from its location, making sure to remove any extra semicolons (;) that may be left behind. Scroll back to the very beginning of the Path value and paste at the beginning. Insert a semicolon after 'bin'.
- Restart ArcInfo Workstation. The IMAGE command now executes successfully and images can be added from the catalog to the ArcEdit or ArcPlot session.