When attempting to delete an ArcGIS Server service, the process fails and returns an error message.
Service 'System/<service_name>.gpserver' is required and cannot be deleted.
The 'isDefault' parameter in the Service Properties JSON is set to true. If the value is set to true, the service is considered as the main system service and cannot be deleted as it is required to ensure ArcGIS Server is running properly.
Solution or Workaround
- Stop the ArcGIS Server services. Refer to ArcGIS Server: Start and stop services for instructions.
- Log in to the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory with an administrator account.
- In the ArcGIS Server Administrative Directory window, under Folders, click System.
- On the Folder - System page, under Services, click the desired service.
- On the service page, under Supported Operations, click edit.
- On the Edit GPServer page, in the Service (in JSON format) text box, search for the 'isDefault' parameter.
- Change the value to false.
- Check the Run asynchronously check box and click Save Edits.
- Delete the service, and start the ArcGIS Server services. Refer to ArcGIS Server: Start and stop services for instructions.