When trying to build geocoding, the following error message appears in the ArcIMS Author Message console:"*** Index builder started ***
ERROR - root tag not found
ERROR - can't read aimsindxb.cfg"
Two main causes for this error are:
1. Attempting to build geocoding indices from a remote machine.
2. Attempting to build geocoding indices locally and the user is not the local administrator on the ArcIMS Host machine, or is not placed in the local administrator group.
Solution or Workaround
Follow these steps:
- When trying to create geocoding indices locally or remotely, verify administrative privileges are assigned to the user on the ArcIMS host machine that serves the Web pages.
- When trying to create geocoding indices locally or remotely, check the permissions on the ArcIMS Installation directory and also the directory that contains the geocodable dataset.
- When trying to create geocoding indices remotely, verify that a mapped drive is uesed and not the UNC path when referencing the data location in the map configuration file.
- Re-create geocode index files from a different data directory.
- Run the Index Builder executable from a Command prompt in Windows or Console in UNIX to see if it works.
On Windows type the following from the IndexBuilder location:
C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\ArcIMS\IndexBuilder>"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\ArcIMS\IndexBuilder\aimsindxb.exe" "C:\ArcIMS\AXL\geocode_win.axl" 0
On UNIX type the following from the IndexBuilder location:
ims%/home/ims40/aims40exe/IndexBuilder/aimsindxb.exe /home/ims40/ArcIMS40/AXL/geocode_unix.axl 0
Make necessary edits to the path to the exe, the axl file and the layerID.
- To eliminate the problem specific to data, check to see if it is possible to build geocoding indices on ESRI Sample data that comes with the ArcIMS CD.