When the user identifies features using the Identify tool in ArcView, the following error occurs on Windows 2000:
"MSW call DeleteObject failed"
ArcView needs to run in Windows 95 compatibility mode. Compatibility mode is a feature of Windows 2000 and doesn't affect ArcView performance.
Solution or Workaround
To run ArcView in Windows 95 compatibility mode on Windows 2000 SP2 or SP3, do the following steps. Before beginning, please note:
This solution will not work with the keyed version of ArcView 3x. To help minimize this problem, do not attempt to close the Identify Tool before it has completed identifying everything in the selection.
- Go to Microsoft Knowledge Base article #279792 to learn how to activate compatibility mode on Windows 2000 SP2 or SP3. The link to this article is given below in Related Information.
- Right-click the ArcView shortcut and select Properties.
- Select the Compatibility tab. This tab appears only if the compatibility mode interface has been properly enabled on the computer.
- Check 'Run in compatibility mode' to enable compatibility mode support for the program.
- Select 'Windows 95 Compatibility Layer' in the dropdown list.
- Select OK to save the changes.