This problem is addressed in ArcGIS 8.1 Service Pack 1. See Related Information section to download this pack.
When attempting to create a geocoding service against a file-based data source, such as a shapefile, the following error message occurs:
Unable to store the geocoding service.
Error writing index file.
The geocoding index file is read-only, or you do not have write permissions to the folder that contains the file-based data source.
Solution or Workaround
- Determine if the associated geocoding index (.aig) file, in the same folder as the file-based reference data source, is read-only. If it is, remove the read-only restriction on this file.
- Determine if you have write access to the folder that contains the file-based data source. If you do not, ask the system administrator to grant you write access.
- If you cannot gain access via the methods in steps 1 and 2, you can use a geocoding service created by a user who has write access. Ask a user who has write access to the folder to create a geocoding service for you, and use ArcCatalog to copy the geocoding service to this folder.
- In ArcCatalog, copy the geocoding service from this folder to your Geocoding Services folder, and modify the geocoding service as necessary.
- You may need to repair the geocoding service. For information on repairing geocoding services, refer to the related article below.