When installing ArcGIS products, the following error is returned:
Error 1304. Error writing to file...Verify that you have access to that directory.
There are several possible causes for the error when installing ArcGIS products:
- The user has no access to the directory required for installation on the machine.
- The installation file is detected as a security threat by the anti-virus software in the machine.
- The required Microsoft .NET Framework is not installed or working properly in the machine.
Solution or Workaround
Use the following solutions, depending on the ArcGIS product being installed:
ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro
Mapping and Charting Solutions
- Run the installer file as an administrator of the machine. Contact the IT Department for administrator rights.
- Disable the anti-virus software before installing.
- Ensure the proper version of Microsoft .NET Framework is installed on the machine. For more information, refer to Mapping and Charting Solutions install guide: Minimum system requirements.
- If the proper version of Microsoft .NET Framework is installed, repair Microsoft .NET Framework.
- Navigate to Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
- Select Microsoft .NET Framework.
- Click Change.
- Click Repair. Complete the process and click Close.
- Install Mapping and Charting Solutions.