The following error message is displayed when trying to start ArcMap or ArcCatalog:"ArcView is not registered for use. To register, click on Start > Programs > ArcGIS > Desktop Administrator to start the Registration Wizard."In some cases, the Desktop Administrator states ArcView is registered but starting ArcMap or ArcCatalog still causes the above error to be displayed.
In the case of international installs that require the use of a hardware key, the ArcView or ArcEditor registration file is for version 9.1, but at the time of the registration, the wrong hardware key number was entered.
If a hardware key is not required and the Desktop Administrator says the software is not registered, then the software has not yet been registered.
Solution or Workaround
For those not required to use a hardware key to register ArcView or ArcEditor single use, register the software by navigating to Start > Programs > ArcGIS > Desktop Administrator to start the Registration Wizard.
If registering with a hardware key and an authorization file, make sure the AV_KEY number matches the hardware key number.
Another method to resolve this issue for those requiring a hardware key is to reregister ArcView through the Desktop Administrator.
- Navigate to Start > Programs > ArcGIS > Desktop Administrator, select the folder 'Register Single Use and Extensions' and then click the 'Register Now' button.
- In the Registration Wizard, select the "I have already registered the software and need to register additional ArcGIS extensions" and then click Next.
- Select 'Register now using the Internet' and click Next.
- Complete the Registration Information pages if they are not already filled in.
- On the ArcView Registration page, confirm the ArcView Registration Number and the Key number.
- Click Next the rest of the way until the Registration Wizard is complete.