Attempts to access and view the ArcGIS GIS Server site via the REST endpoint through a localhost connection returns the error message:
This error may be due to an issue during the installation process that corrupts the installation of ArcGIS GIS Server. The error may also occur if the core programs required to run the server itself have erroneous processes that are not starting, preventing the REST endpoint from accessing the server.
Solution or Workaround
In the event there are multiple servers on multiple machines, to identify which is the problematic server, stop each server one at a time while checking the ArcGIS for Server site to see if the site is operating normally.
Once the problematic server is identified, remove the server from the site, and perform a fresh reinstallation of ArcGIS for Server on the affected machine.
- Remove the affected machine via the ArcGIS Server Manager > Site > Machines.
If there are multiple servers on multiple machines, stop the other services using the Windows services.msc command; Windows Start > Run > type services.msc.
- Remove all lock files from the configuration store directory: <ArcGIS Server installation directory>/arcgis/server/usr/config-store, and restart the services that were stopped.
- Uninstall ArcGIS for Server on the problematic machine.
- Upon completion of the uninstallation process, remove the remaining framework files in the installation directory for the server: <ArcGIS Server installation directory>/arcgis/server/usr/
- Re-install ArcGIS for Server.
- Upon completion of the installation process, add the machine back to the ArcGIS GIS Server site using ArcGIS Server Manager.