When publishing or overwriting a service to ArcGIS for Server the following error is returned in the ArcMap Results window:
"ERROR 001170: The Reduced study area polygon is too small for analysis."
The following are possible causes for this error.
• Publishing a service to ArcGIS for Server in a multi-machine cluster environment can cause this error. The following ArcGIS for Server document describes clusters in more detail:ArcGIS for Server: About GIS server clusters.
• The location of the configuration store and server directories are on a separate file server and not part of the ArcGIS Server multi-machine cluster. An intermittent network issue can cause the error.
• The Windows file-locking feature 'Opportunistic locking' is enabled in a multi-machine site. This Windows feature allows a lock to be placed on a locally cached file to improve response times and reduce network traffic.
• No machines were registered with a second ArcGIS for Server cluster site. The error can be returned when an empty cluster site is referenced for publishing.
• A corrupt map document (MXD).
• Delete and re-publish the original service to ArcGIS for Server. The following ArcGIS for Server documents describe this: Deleting a service and How to publish a service.
• Remove one of the machines from the ArcGIS Server cluster and re-publish the service. The following ArcGIS for Server document describes this: Editing a GIS server cluster in Manager.
• Disable opportunistic locking. The following technical article describes this in detail: Error: Packaging succeeded, but publishing failed. ERROR 001369: Failed to create the service.
• Remove the cluster which has no machines. The following ArcGIS for Server document describes this: Deleting a GIS server cluster in ArcGIS for Desktop.
• Remove the corrupt MXD and re-publish new MXD. The following ArcGIS for Server document describes this: Publishing a map service.