This error is returned when trying to start or stop services in ArcGIS Server Manager:
Could not undeploy services from one or more machines. 'Server machine
'<server URL>' returned an error. '<server path> (Access is denied)''
The following are possible causes.
- Stopping a service sometimes leads it to become unresponsive. This can occur when the service is still being configured by another administrative operation. Because the service is still being used, locks are placed to prevent modification to the service.
- The ArcGIS Server account did not have the appropriate permissions to the path \Program Files\ArcGIS\Server, in a multi-machine cluster environment. Permission must be given to the ArcGIS Server account for all the machines that are part of the cluster.
- The service is still being used by another machine even after the service is stopped. This can happen in a multi-machine cluster environment when the machine using the service becomes unresponsive when trying to stop the service.
Solution or Workaround
The following are possible solutions.
- Restart the ArcGIS Server Windows Service to remove the locks.
Stopping the service abruptly and forcefully stops and prevents other applications or users from accessing the service.
When a service becomes unresponsive, the error "ArcGIS Server site is currently being configured by another administrative operation. Please try again later" can be returned in the ArcGIS for Server logs. This error is detailed in the following technical article: Error: ArcGIS Server site is currently being configured by another administrative operation. Please try again later.
- Grant the ArcGIS Server account with full control access to the path, \Program Files\ArcGIS\Server. The following Esri Developer Network document explains this in detail: Giving ArcGIS Server access to folders.
If restarting the ArcGIS Sever Windows service does not release the locks, another workaround is to reboot the ArcGIS Server machine.