The Make Grids and Graticules Layer geoprocessing tool creates a 'Clip' feature class (CLP_<input feature dataset name>) in the tool's output feature dataset. However, the layer is not added to ArcMap as part of the tool's output group layer, and Cartographic Representations for the 'Clip' features are not created in the Geodatabase.
This is a known issue for ArcGIS 10. For updates on the status, use bug number NIM058380. Use the following steps to work around this issue.
Manually add the 'Clip' feature class to the output group layer in the ArcMap table of contents, and then create cartographic representations for the feature class using the following steps.
- Click the 'Add Data' button in ArcMap.
- Browse to the output feature dataset where the Grids and Graticules layers have been saved.
- Double-click the feature dataset to see its contents.
- Select the 'Clip' feature class. It will be listed as 'CLP_<input feature dataset name>'.
- Click 'Add'.
- Optionally, move the 'Clip' feature class into the output group layer in the ArcMap Table of Contents.
- Click the 'Clip' layer's symbol in the ArcMap Table of Contents to launch the Symbol Selector dialog box.
- In the Symbol Selector dialog box, set the 'Fill Color' and the 'Outline Color' to 'No Color'.
- Click 'OK' on the Symbol Selector dialog box.
- In the Table of Contents, right-click on the 'Clip' feature layer and select 'Convert Symbology to Representation'. This opens the Convert Symbology to Representations dialog box.
- In the Convert Symbology to Representations dialog box, uncheck 'Add new layer to map symbolized with this representation'.
- Accept the other defaults and click 'Convert'.