** This issue is addressed in ArcGIS 9.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2) **
If an ArcGIS 8.3 MXD contains an image catalog and the projection of the data frame has a central meridian other than 0, attempting to open the MXD file in ArcMap 9.0 or ArcCatalog 9.0 will crash the applications. The user will receive the following error message:
Arcmap.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x728312d3" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read".
Click OK to terminate the program.
This is a known issue.
** This issue is addressed in ArcGIS 9.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2).
Click on the link in Related Information below and download Service Pack 2, if necessary. **
If ArcGIS 9.0 SP2 is not available, you can follow these steps to workaround the problem:
- Rename an element in the path to the image catalog so that the path is wrong.
- Open the MXD in ArcMap. Since the path to the image catalog is wrong, ArcMap will not find the images and will not draw them.
- Change the projection of the data frame to a projection with a central meridian other than 0.
- Save the MXD and close the map.
- Reopen the MXD and reset the path to the image catalog. The image catalog will now draw and will not crash ArcMap.