This problem is addressed in ArcGIS 8.1 Service Pack 1. Click here for instructions to download:
1. Go to http://support.esri.com/
2. Click Downloads.
3. Click Patches and Service Packs.
4. Click the ArcGIS product that is currently installed, such as ArcInfo Desktop, ArcEditor, or ArcView 8x.
5. Scroll down to Version 8.1 and click ArcGIS Service Pack 1.
6. Follow the download instructions.
In ArcMap's layer symbology dialog boxes, the value field and normalization field controls may not be wide enough to show long field names. Long field names commonly result when working with joined tables.
The controls for selecting value and normalization fields are not wide enough and lack tips and horizontal scroll bars.
Use field aliases to create short aliases for long field names.
A. Open the Layer Properties dialog box.
B. Select the Fields tab.
C. From the field list, select the field for which you want to set an alias.
D. Type the new alias in the text box below the list.