Bullet leader labels formerly available in ArcView 3.x require a manual procedure for ArcGIS 8.1, 8.3, and 9.x.
It is not possible to create a bullet leader label in ArcGIS 8.2.
This is a known issue.
Follow the steps below to perform this function. This procedure applies to versions 8.1, 8.3, and 9.x. This process does not work with 8.2.
- Right-click the desired layer in the Table of Contents and select Properties.
- Switch to the Labels tab.
- Under Text String, select the attribute field related to the label.
- Click the Symbol button under Text Symbol.
- Click the Properties button.
- Select the style and format of the label font in the Editor window.
- Switch to the Advanced Text tab.
- Check the Text Background box and click Properties.
- Select Line callout for Type.
- Select the style of the leader line under Style.
- Uncheck the boxes for Accent Bar and Border.
- Click the Leader Symbol button.
- Click the Properties button for the Symbol Selector window.
- Select Cartographic Line Symbol for Type.
- Select the line color and width under the Cartographic Line tab.
- Select the second Line Decoration, the arrow on the left, under the Line Properties tab.
- Click Properties under Line Decorations.
- Click the Symbol button.
- Select the symbol for the bullet.
- Click OK for all the windows.
- Select the Label tool from the Drawing toolbar.
Labels feature with their attributes by clicking on them.
- Set the type of Placement and leave 'Use properties set for the feature layer' for Label Style in the Labeling Options window.
- Close the window.
- Click the feature to label. A bullet leader line appears with the specified attribute label that was set.