How To: Measure line direction interactively in ArcMap
The direction of a line feature can be measured interactively in ArcMap in the following direction measuring systems:
- north azimuth
- south azimuth
- quadrant bearing
The line is measured in editing mode. Therefore, the line feature layer has to be editable. Before starting measuring:
- Add Editor toolbar to ArcMap
- Set the direction type and units used when editing
- Start editing
Select one of the following two workflows based on the license level of the software:
With a Standard or Advanced license
- Add COGO to ArcMap toobar: right-click at the blank space on ArcMap toolbar, and click COGO. The COGO toolbar is added to ArcMap.
- Click COGO Report (the seventh tool from the left on the COGO toolbar). This opens the COGO Report dialog box:
- Click Direction and distance of a line in COGO Report dialog box.
- On the map, click the start point of the line and then click the end point. The direction and distance are reported in the COGO Report dialog.
With a Basic license
- On the Editor toolbar, click the Create Feature button and select the Line Construction Tool in Create Features dialog.
- Click the start point of the line, and move the mouse to snap to the end point of the line, then right-click and left-click Direction. The direction of the line is shown in the pop-up.
- Close the pop-up, right-click again, and click Delete Sketch.
Article ID: 000015374
Software: ArcMap 10.5 (10.5.1), 10.4 (10.4.1), 10.1, 10.3 (10.3.1), 10.2 (10.2.1, 10.2.2)