Is This Content Helpful?
We're glad to know this article was helpful.
Before version 1.2 of ArcGIS Pro, a Named User license was required to use the application. With the release of version 1.2, users have the option to convert Named User licenses into concurrent-use or single-use licenses, similar to ArcGIS for Desktop. This article describes the steps to convert existing Named User licenses to concurrent-use or single-use licenses. However, ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS for Desktop use different authorization numbers. The licenses for ArcGIS Pro cannot be used for ArcGIS Desktop and vice versa. This is an important distinction to note. Here are some examples that show how the licenses are differentiated:
• Pro: ArcGIS Pro for Desktop Advanced
• Desktop: ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced
ArcGIS Pro uses the Named User license option by default. To obtain concurrent or single-use licenses for ArcGIS Pro, go to MyEsri and create them by converting Named User licenses to ArcGIS Pro concurrent or single-use licenses. If you are not sure which licensing option to use, refer to About ArcGIS Pro licenses for more information.
This procedure describes the following steps:
Converting ArcGIS Pro Named User licenses to concurrent-use or single-use in MyEsri, and depending on the licensing environment, either:
• Authorizing ArcGIS Pro concurrent-use licenses on an ArcGIS License Manager and configuring ArcGIS Pro to use them, or
• Authorizing ArcGIS Pro single-use licenses and configuring ArcGIS Pro to use them.
Note: Customers with an Enterprise License Agreement (ELA) must contact Esri Customer Service to convert Named User licenses to ArcGIS Pro concurrent and/or single-use licenses. Other customers who do not have access to MyEsri must also contact Customer Service or their distributor to arrange for licenses to be converted.
Convert Pro Named User licenses to single-use and/or concurrent-use licenses
Follow these steps to convert ArcGIS Pro licenses from Named User licenses to concurrent and/or single-use licenses. Since the workflow is the same for both licensing options, we include both in each step.
1. Open a web browser and log in to MyEsri with your Esri global account.
2. Click the My Organizations tab > Licensing.
3. Under Licensing, click ArcGIS Pro License Allocation. This lists all your licenses.
4. Use the Show Filter Options to narrow down the list by any combination of License Type, Core/Extensions and/or Term/Perpetual licenses.
5. Locate the Pro Named User license you wish to convert and click the Action arrow to convert licenses.
6. Use the up/down arrow to select the number of licenses to convert. The number of licenses cannot exceed the number of Named User licenses available. Click Convert.
7. Write down or copy the resulting Authorization Numbers. The same information will be sent to the email account associated with your Esri Global account. There is an additional option to export the information to PDF or Excel in the upper right-hand corner.
8. Click the Authorizations tab to view all the concurrent and single-use licenses allocated from the previous step. Please note it may take approximately 30 minutes before the new licenses appear.
9. OPTIONAL: Create a Provisioning file. This allows the administrator to combine one or more licenses into a single file that can be used later during the authorization process. Using a provisioning file avoids having to enter the authorization numbers manually. Click the Provisioning tab and set the options:
• Product Type: ArcGIS Pro for Desktop.
• Version: 10.1-10.4.
• Concurrent Use or Single Use
• Provision: select licenses to display and click Apply.
10. Use up/down arrow or type in number of licenses to allocate from one or more core licenses and/or extension licenses. Click Next.
11. Edit End User information if necessary. For next step, choose to download or email the provisioning file.
12. Click Create File.
Authorize concurrent-use licenses
Follow these steps to download and install the ArcGIS License Manager, authorize ArcGIS Pro concurrent-use licenses, and configure Pro to point to the License Manager server.
1. Download the ArcGIS License Manager installation file from MyEsri and run the License Manager setup.
2. Follow the instructions to install the License Manager to the desired location. At the end of the installation, the ArcGIS License Server Administrator displays.
3. Complete the authorization process.
Note: If you choose to do this step at a later time, on Windows, access the License Server Administrator from Start > Programs > ArcGIS > License Manager > License Server Administrator. On Linux, run the License Server Administrator from the installation location using the following command: <installation_path>/arcgis/license10.4/LSAdmin.
Authorize single-use licenses
Follow these steps to install ArcGIS Pro, and use the Software Authorization Wizard to authorize single-use licenses.
1. Install ArcGIS Pro 1.2. Refer to Set Up ArcGIS Pro if help is needed installing ArcGIS Pro.
2. Start ArcGIS Pro.
3. If a Sign In dialog box or prompt appears, click Configure your licensing options at the bottom of the dialog box. If you are already signed in using Named User licensing, you must click About ArcGIS Pro, click the Licensing tab, and click Configure your licensing options'at the bottom of the screen to browse to the Licensing dialog box.
4. In the Licensing dialog box, expand the drop-down menu and choose Single Use License for the license type.
5. Select the license level that is associated with your authorization number or provisioning file.
If a single-use license has not been authorized, click the Authorize button and follow the Authorization Wizard to authorize your single-use license. When prompted, provide the authorization number for core license and/or extensions licenses or use the provisioning file created from the instructions in the first section.
6. Click OK.