Is This Content Helpful?
We're glad to know this article was helpful.
When exporting the table of a feature class with coded value domain descriptions in ArcMap, the coded value is displayed instead of the descriptions.
This is a known limitation. ArcGIS, by default, exports domain codes instead of domain descriptions.
Select one of the solutions shown below. Option A allows the particular table to display the coded value domain descriptions, whereas Option B allows all tables exported to display the coded value domain descriptions. Option C can be used to display both coded domain values and descriptions.
1. Open the exported table.
2. Click Table Options > Appearance.
3. Check the 'Display coded value domain and subtype descriptions' check box.
The coded value domain descriptions are displayed.
Change the Environment settings, and use the Table to Table tool.
1. Click the Geoprocessing menu > Environments. This opens the Environment Settings window.
2. Click Fields, and check the 'Transfer field domain descriptions' check box. Click OK.
3. Navigate to Conversion Tools in the Catalog window > To Geodatabase > Table to Table.
4. Select a table as the input, and specify the output location and the name of the output table. Click OK.
1. Use the Domain to Table tool to export the domain and domain descriptions.
2. Join the table to the source feature class.
3. Export the joined table to a shapefile.
Option C adds a new field for domain descriptions. For more information on exporting a feature class to a shapefile containing domain descriptions instead of domain codes, refer to the following article, HowTo: Export a feature class to a shapefile that contains domain descriptions instead of domain codes.