Is This Content Helpful?
We're glad to know this article was helpful.
When publishing a hosted service in ArcMap via File > Share As > Service, the My Hosted Services option is not available in the drop-down list of connection types in the ‘Publish a Service’ dialog box.
From ArcMap, users can publish maps and data as web services that are hosted in ArcGIS Online. Users can publish two types of services directly from ArcMap: feature services and tiled map services. Users must be either Publishers or Administrators to publish these hosted services to ArcGIS Online.
This issue may be caused by one of the following:
• User holds a free ArcGIS Online public account
Public account holders do not have the privilege to publish hosted services. Only users with an organizational account can publish hosted services. The My Hosted Services option is not available for a user using a public account.
• User is assigned as 'User' role
To publish hosted services, users must have the permission to create content, publish features or tiles, and use geocoding. Only two roles have these permissions (Publisher and Administrator). The User role does not have the My Hosted Services option available because this role cannot publish hosted services to ArcGIS Online.
• Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is enabled
When SSL is enabled for the organization in ArcGIS Online, users cannot connect to the organization’s content using ArcGIS for Desktop because the My Hosted Services repository does not refresh to show the content.
Follow the solutions provided below:
Option A - User holds an ArcGIS Online public account
Select one of the following workarounds:
• Contact Customer Service to set up a new organizational account as either a Publisher or an Administrator.
• Create a trial organizational account from the ArcGIS Online Free 30-Day Trial for Organizations page. For more information, please refer to Esri Knowledge Base article 42793.
• Make the data available for others to view through a web browser by adding the shapefile as a .zip file to a map and uploading it to the public account.
• If the wrong account type was activated, contact a customer service representative to request a new activation link.
Option B - User role in the Organization
Change the user’s role to either Publisher or Administrator. To do this, please refer to the following ArcGIS Web Help Topic: Change member roles.
Option C - Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is enabled
Use the Manage Portal Connections tool in the ArcGIS Administrator to connect to your organization's Portal for ArcGIS site. For further information on how to add the URL using this tool, please refer to Esri Knowledge Base article 40178.