How To: Make a dual-unit scale bar in a map layout
The instructions provided describe how to make a dual-unit scale bar in a map layout.
- Navigate to the Layout View of the map document.
- Insert two scale bars; click Insert > Scale Bar, and in the Scale Bar Selector dialog box, start by trying the 'Scale Line 1' and 'Scale Line 3' styling formats.
- Right-click each scale bar and click Properties.
A. On the Scale and Units tab, select the desired unit of measure from the Division Units drop-down menu.
B. On the Size and Position tab, check the box for 'Align scale bar to zero division.'
Align scale bar to zero division
- Line up the two scale bars by selecting each one separately and dragging them into the correct position so that the middle/common base lines overlap.
- Select both scale bars by clicking both of them while holding down the CTRL key, right-click the scale bars and select Align > Align Center.
- To save the alignment settings, right-click the selected scale bars and select Group.
Article ID: 000011784
Software: ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced 10.1 ArcGIS for Desktop Basic 10.1 ArcGIS for Desktop Standard 10.1