Is This Content Helpful?
We're glad to know this article was helpful.
During an upgrade or new installation of ArcSDE with Oracle, the following error message is displayed:
“ld.so.1: ./sdesetup: fatal: libsdesetup.so: open failed: No such file or directory
This error message usually means that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not set correctly to $SDEHOME/lib and $ORACLE_HOME/lib, and the install cannot locate the library file specified (libsdesetup.so). This is due to either the environmental settings being set incorrectly, or broken or missing symbolic links for Oracle and/or SDE files.
Confirm that the correct permission and access is granted:
1. Verify that the environmental settings are set correctly as documented in the appropriate ArcSDE version of the installation guide for Oracle. The PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables must be set up in the following manner:
The sde directories must come before the Oracle directories.
2. Verify that the ‘libsdeoraXisrvrXX.so’ file actually exists in the $SDEHOME/lib folder (‘X’ refers to the SDE and Oracle version).
3. Verify that the date of this file is current.
4. Verify that the SDEHOME environment variable is pointing to the 9.x installation directory.
Once the above information has been verified, follow the steps below:
1. If the database instance is new, delete it. If the database is not new/empty, make a backup and delete it.
2. Correct the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables. For the correct PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables, refer to page 42 in the ArcSDE 9.3 for Oracle Installation guide and page 41 in the ArcSDE 9.2 for Oracle Installation guide. Links to the installation guides can be found in Related Information.
3. Run the SDE Post Installation, following the ArcSDE postinstallation setup instructions in the appropriately versioned ArcSDE Installation guide.