How To: Clip overlaying polygon area from an underlying polygon
This article describes how to clip out an area of an overlaying polygon from an underlying polygon's total area.
- Start an edit session from the Editor toolbar.
- Using the edit tool, select the overlaying polygon.
- Click the Editor dropdown and select 'Clip'.
- Leave the 'buffer distance' set to 0.00.
- Under 'When Clipping Features', select 'Discard the area that intersects' and then click OK.
- Delete or move the overlaying polygon. The underlying polygon has the overlaying polygon area clipped from the feature.
Article ID: 000008430
Software: ArcGIS - ArcEditor 8.3, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcInfo 8.3, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcView 8.3, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1