How To: Invert a surface with ArcGIS Spatial Analyst
Instructions provided describe how to invert a surface with ArcGIS Spatial Analyst. Inverting a surface will make the lowest cell the highest and vice versa.
- Start ArcMap and add surface layer.
- Right-click on the surface layer and select Properties.
- Find the minimum and maximum value.
These values will be needed for Step 4.
- Set the Extent and Cell Size to the surface layer in Spatial Analyst > Options.
- In the Raster Calculator type the following expression, substituting <maximum> and <minimum> with values from Step 2.
invert = (([elevgrd] - <maximum>) * -1) + <minimum>
Article ID: 000007049
Software: ArcGIS - ArcEditor 8.3, 9.0, 9.1 ArcGIS - ArcInfo 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1 ArcGIS - ArcView 8.3, 9.0, 9.1