How To: CONNECT to Oracle 9i on Windows using ArcInfo Workstation 9.0
Instructions provided describe creating a DBI connection to an Oracle 9i (22.214.171.124) server from ArcInfo Workstation 9.0 on Windows.
- Install the Oracle 9i client software if necessary.
- Test that a SQLPlus connection can be made to the Oracle 9i server from a DOS command line on the client machine where ArcInfo Workstation will be run.
Do not proceed with the remainder of this article until a successful SQLPlus connection is made. Please consult Oracle and Oracle documentation in troubleshooting SQLPlus connections.
- Open C:\arcgis\arcexe9x\database\oracle.dbs in a text editor such as Notepad.
- Append the file as shown below:
ARC/INFO 9.0 - Oracle Server
- Save the changes and close the text editor.
- Quit SQLPlus and start ArcInfo in the same window that a successful SQLPlus connections was made.
- CONNECT to Oracle.
Arc: connect oracle system/oracle@ora920
Article ID: 000006823
Software: ArcInfo Workstation 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3