How To: Lock the vendor daemon to a specific port
Instructions provided explain how to lock the dynamic vendor daemon to a static TCP port.
The steps provided in this article require briefly stopping the License Manager. During this time, connections to the License Manager are lost.
- Open the License Manager Tools at the License Manager server.
- ArcGIS 8.x or previous is found by clicking Start > Programs > ArcGIS > License Manager > License Manager Tools.
- ArcGIS 9.0 is found by clicking Start > Programs > ArcGIS > License Manager (9.x) > License Manager Tools.
- Select the radio button for Configuration using Services.
- Verify ESRI License Manager (ArcGIS 8.x) or ArcGIS License Manager (ArcGIS 9) is highlighted.
- Click the 'Start/Stop/Reread' tab. Click 'Stop Server'.
- Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the following path, one or more files with a .LIC extension are present in the location.
- ArcGIS 8.x or previous: C:\Program Files\ESRI\License
- ArcGIS 9.0: C:\Program Files\ESRI\License\arcgis9x
- Open the first .LIC file with a text editor, for example, Notepad. The file should look similar to this, depending on the software version.
SERVER hostname ESRI_SENTINEL_KEY=37123456 27004
FEATURE ARC/INFO ARCGIS 9.0 01-jan-00 1 D850B0D8TW7F63C611QB
At the end of line one, note that 27004 has been assigned as the TCP port for the lmgrd daemon.
- On the VENDOR line, add 'PORT=####', where #### is a specific port number designated by the user, to lock the vendor daemon to that specific port. For example:
VENDOR ARCGIS PORT=1234
- Save the .LIC file.
- Repeat Steps 6 through 8 in every .LIC file in the directory, using the same PORT=#### in every file.
- Restore the License Manager Tools and click 'Start Server'.
- Click 'Reread License File'.
The vendor daemon is now static - locked to the port specified.
Article ID: 000006629
Software: ArcGIS - ArcEditor 8.1, 8.1.2, 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcInfo 8.1, 8.1.2, 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 ArcGIS - ArcView 8.1, 8.1.2, 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1 ArcInfo Workstation 8.1, 8.1.2, 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3