How To: Create contours from XY data using Spatial Analyst
Instructions provided describe how to create contours from XY data using Spatial Analyst.
- Start ArcCatalog.
- Browse to the table that contains the XY data.
- Right-click on the table and select Create Feature Class > From XY Table.
- Select the X Field and the Y Field and leave the Z Field as <none>.
- Select an appropriate coordinate system.
- Specify an output shapefile or feature class and click OK.
This tool is documented in ArcGIS Desktop Help > Contents > ArcCatalog > Exploring the values in a table > Creating new data sources from the values in a table.
- Convert the points to a raster surface using a Surface Interpolation method available in the Spatial Analyst menu.
These interpolators are described in detail at: ArcGIS Desktop Help > Contents > Extensions > Spatial Analyst > Interpolating to raster
- Create contours from the surface using the Contours tool in Spatial Analyst > Surface Analysis.
- Select the Input surface from the drop-down list.
- Select a Base Contour and a Contour Interval based on the 'Input height range'.
- Set a Z factor, if necessary.
- Specify an output feature class and click OK.
Additional information can be found in the ArcGIS Desktop Help > Contents > Extensions > Spatial Analyst > Surface Analysis > Contour.
Article ID: 000006572
Software: ArcGIS - ArcEditor 8.1, 8.1.2, 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1 ArcGIS - ArcInfo 8.1, 8.1.2, 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1 ArcGIS - ArcView 8.1, 8.1.2, 8.2, 8.3, 9.0, 9.1