This document will demonstrate how to create a new feature by tracing an existing feature.
- Add the feature class(es) or shapefile(s) to ArcMap.
- Start editing.
- Select the target layer for the new feature.
- Select the feature to trace using the edit tool.
- Click the dropdown button for the sketch tool to select the trace tool.
- Set the stream tolerance by clicking Editor > Options. Change the stream tolerance in the Editing Options dialog box under the General tab.
- Click 'O' on the keyboard to set the trace offset distance and to specify the corner style.
- Left-click on the mouse to begin creating the new feature by tracing the selected feature.
- Double-click to complete the sketch.
Article ID: 000004599
Software: ArcGIS - ArcEditor 8.1 ArcGIS - ArcInfo 8.1 ArcGIS - ArcView 8.1