How To: Extract Z values from the [Shape] field to an attribute in a 3D layer
You can use the Field Calculator to populate a field with Z values extracted from the [Shape] field of PointZ file. This is similar to using the GetZ request in the ArcView 3.x Field Calculator.
- Open the attribute table of the 3D point layer.
- Right-click on the field that will contain the values and select "Calculate Values..." from the context menu.
- In the Field Calculator dialog box, click on the check box for "Advanced".
- In the Pre Logic box, enter the following code:
Dim pt as ipoint
Set pt = [Shape]
- In the Expression box, enter:
- Press OK.
Article ID: 000004584
Software: ArcGIS - ArcEditor 8.1 ArcGIS - ArcInfo 8.1 ArcGIS - ArcView 8.1