Is This Content Helpful?
We're glad to know this article was helpful.
Opening a map document in ArcMap 8.x displays the following error message:
"Printer <printer_name> not found. Using default"
The map document was saved with the 'Same as printer' page size setting. This saves the printer name and printer page size information in the map document. When this map document is opened on a machine that does not have a connection to that printer, ArcMap uses the default printer on that machine instead.
Additionally, when the 'Scale map elements to changes in page size' option is checked, ArcMap scales the original map page size to fit the default printer page size.
If unable to get a copy of the map saved without the 'Same as printer' page size setting, fix the map document through one of the following procedures:
1. Open Printers from the Windows Control Panel.
2. Right-click on the printer that is to be the new default.
3. Select Set as Default Printer. A black checkmark next to the new default printer appears.
1. From the Windows Printers dialog, right click on your default printer and select Printing Preferences...
2. Change the paper size to the size you want. Unfortunately, not all printer drivers are the same, so this option may not be in the same place.
In the example of the HP DesignJet 5500PS, click on Advanced... and then select your new page size default from the Paper Size drop down list.
This has been fixed in ArcGIS 9.0. When you open a map document that has been saved with the Same as Printer option, known as 'Use Printer Settings' at 9.x, and that printer can not be found, ArcMap turns off the Same as Printer / Use Printer Setting option and continues opening the map normally.