Knowledge Base - Technical Articles
HowTo: Setup a new instance of ArcGIS Server Manager using the ArcGIS Server installation
|Software:||ArcGIS Server 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1|
|Platforms:||Windows XP, 2003Server|
Instructions provided describe how to use the ArcGIS Server install to create and configure a new instance of ArcGIS Server Manager.
The following instructions involve modifying a registry value. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult with a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. ESRI cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions. Therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
- IIS stores the physical location of the default IIS Web site in the following registry key:
The default value is usually c:\Inetpub\wwwroot. Before running the AddInstance utility, change the registry key value to the root folder for the Web site where an ArcGIS Server Manager instance is being created.
- Start the ArcGIS Server installation and select the components to install. At a minimum, to install an ArcGIS Server Manager instance, the Web Application's features must be selected. When the installation completes, the ArcGIS Server Manager instance folders and virtual directories are created.
- In IIS Manager, verify that the Keyhole Markup Language (KML), Manager, Services and Web Map Service (WMS) directories contained within the new instance are configured as applications.
-show me-In IIS Manager, configure the KML, Manager, Services and WMS sub-directories contained within the new instance as applications.a) In IIS Manager, under the ArcGIS instance folder, open the Manager directory.
b) Select Properties.
c) Under Application Settings, click the Create button.
d) Confirm that Execute Permissions are set to Scripts Only.
e) Click Apply and OK.
Repeat this process for all 4 directories: Manager, Services, WMS, KML
- In IIS Manager, verify that the .AGSX and .* extension mappings have been added to the Services folder or virtual directory.
-show me-Add the .AGSX and .* extension mappings to the Services folder or virtual directory.
Use the following steps to navigate to the correct dialog box:a) Open IIS Manager.
b) Open Default Web site.
c) Open ArcGIS instance directory.
d) Right-click the Services directory and select Properties.
e) Click the Virtual Directory tab.
f) Click the Configuration button.
g) Click the Mappings tab.
On Windows 2003, .AGSX is added to the top in the Application extensions section, and * is added on the bottom in the Wildcard application maps section. On other operating systems, they are both added in the Application Mappings section.Use the screenshots below as a guide.
When manually adding the mappings, confirm the following:a) Both extensions point to the following DLL:
b) Set the Verbs option to 'Limit to' and enter the following in the following values:
c) Make sure the 'Verify that file exists' option is unchecked.
The dialog should be configured as follows:
- If necessary, reset the value of the PathWWWRoot registry key back to the value it contained prior to performing step 1.
- Restart IIS.
Use one of the following options to restart IIS:
a) Open a command prompt and enter 'iisreset'.
b) Open the Services explorer dialog box (Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services). Stop the 'IIS Admin' and 'World Wide Web Publishing' services. Start both services.
- Configure an instance of ArcGIS Server Manager on a non-default IIS Web site
The installation program for ArcGIS Server for the Microsoft .NET Framework and the AddInstance utility, located under \ArcGIS\DotNet, is designed to only setup and configure an ArcGIS Server Instance, which includes the ArcGIS Server Manager appl...
Last Modified: 3/8/2011