Knowledge Base - Technical Articles
Problem: Exported map has a gray background instead of being transparent
|Software:||ArcGIS - ArcEditor 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1, 10 ArcGIS - ArcInfo 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1, 10 ArcGIS - ArcView 9.0, 9.1, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3.1, 10|
When exporting a map to BMP, JPEG, or TIFF with the data frame background set to 'no color' and/or setting the 'Background Color' to no color in the export options, the output displays the background as a solid color, such as gray.
This is a known limit, because these file types do not support 'no color' pixels. As a result when the map is exported, the 'no color' pixels are assigned a default background color value set in the Windows display settings.
Solution or Workaround
Export the map to either a GIF or PNG format and set the Background Color and Transparent Color to white.
- Navigate to File > Export Map.
- Click the Save as type drop-down list and select either GIF or PNG.
- Click the Format tab.
- Click the color picker next to Background Color and select white.
- Click the color picker next to Transparent Color and select white.
- Click Save to complete the export.
Last Modified: 5/11/2011