Knowledge Base - Technical Articles
HowTo: Separate values into more than 32 classes when using the Classified Renderer
|Software:||ArcGIS - ArcEditor 8.1 ArcGIS - ArcInfo 8.0.1, 8.0.2, 8.1 ArcGIS - ArcView 8.1|
|Platforms:||Windows NT 4.0, 2000|
The maximum number of classes for the Classified Renderer is 32. This article shows how to increase this limit.
You can increase the limit of 32 classes can by typing the desired number of classes in the Classes dropdown list on the Classification dialog box.
- Right-click the layer in the Table of Contents and click Properties.
- Click the Symbology tab.
- Click Classified or Quantities on the Show list of available renderers (depending on the layer type).
- Click Classify.
- Type in the number of classes on the Classification dialog box.
-show me-To change the number of classes:
1. Click Classify to open the Classification dialog box.
2. Change the number of classes in the Class dropdown list.
- Click OK.
The maximum limit of classes in ArcGIS 8.1 is 256.
For raster layers, the value in the Classes dropdown list on the Symbology tab is not modified with the correct number of classes entered on the Classification dialog box even though the legend is updated. This is a known issue with ArcGIS 8.1.
Last Modified: 7/11/2001