Knowledge Base - Technical Articles
HowTo: Add DEM data to ArcView
|Software:||ArcView GIS 3.2, 3.2a|
This document covers the options for adding DEM data to ArcView.
- SDTS data: If you have downloaded an SDTS file from the USGS site, you can use the SDTS Raster to GRID Utility to convert the data into an ArcInfo grid. You can then add the grid data as an Image theme or as a grid theme with the Spatial Analyst or 3D Analyst extensions.
-show me- SummaryUse the SDTS Raster to Grid Utility to convert raster data in SDTS format to an ArcInfo Grid. The USGS commonly uses the SDTS format to deliver raster data such as DEMs. Procedure
- Select Start > Programs > Esri > ArcView GIS 3.2a > SDTS Raster to Grid.
- Enter the input prefix in the Input prefix text box. The input prefix is the four character code at the beginning of the SDTS file names.
- Enter the name and path of the new Grid in the Output Grid text box.
- Accept all other defaults and click OK.
- DEM data: If you have downloaded a DEM file from the USGS site, make sure the file has a .dem extension and import it into ArcView.
-show me-A. Turn on the Spatial Analyst or 3D Analyst extensions.
B. Open a view.
C. Select Import from the File menu.
D. Switch the dropdown list on the Import Data Source dialog box to USGS DEM and click OK.
E. Navigate to the location of the DEM file and click OK.
F. Enter the name and location of a new grid and click OK.
Last Modified: 4/13/2005