Knowledge Base - Technical Articles
HowTo: Convert an ArcView shapefile to a DXF file
|Software:||ArcView GIS 3.2, 3.2a|
|Platforms:||Windows 95, 98, NT 4.0, 2000|
This article provides three options to convert an ArcView Shapefile to an AutoCAD ASCII Drawing Interchange (DXF) file.
- Shape DXF Converter
1. Start the Shape DXF Converter utility by selecting Start > Programs > Esri > ArcView GIS 3.2a > Shape DXF Converter.
The number of Decimal digits is used to write coordinates and other non-integer numbers in the DXF file.
2. Specify the full directory path, file name, and file extension for the shapefile in the Input Shapefile text box.Make sure the .dbf, .shx, and .shp files are in the same directory. If they are not, the converter will not create the .dxf file, nor will it give you an error message.
3. Specify the full directory path, file name, and file extension for the DXF file in the Output text box.
4. Specify the number of decimal places in the Decimals text box if you wish. This information is used to write coordinates and other non-integer numbers in the DXF file. This step is optional.
5. The utility will convert a 3D shapefile into a 2D CAD drawing if the shapefile's attribute table contains fields named Elevation and Thickness. To convert a 3D shapefile into a 3D CAD drawing with Z values, rename these two fields to something else.
6. Click OKMake sure path and file names for the Input Shapefile and Output adhere to 8.3 Compliant naming conventions. The utility will not produce any errors if the path and file names are not 8.3 compliant, but it will generate an incorrect DXF file. See Related Information.
- Scripts The Esri ArcScripts Web Site offers a number of sample scripts for this type of conversion. These scripts may need to be slightly modified to achieve desired results.
1. Navigate to the ArcScripts Web Site. See the Related Information section below.
2. Select 'Avenue' from the language pull-down menu to see available Avenue scripts.
3. Search on the keyword 'dxf' in your browser.
The search word should be 'dxf' without the period to ensure correct search results.
- Custom Applications Several Web sites offer a Shape to CAD file conversion utility. Some have additional utilities for working between CAD and ArcView. Search the Internet on the keywords "arcview", "cad", and "conversion." See Related Information for common Internet search engines.
Most data conversion scripts or applications found at these Web sites are not supported by Esri. Please refer to the disclaimers prior to downloading.
- ArcScripts - Useful tools from GIS users and Esri
- [O] Eight point three compliant
For a file or path name to be 8.3 compliant, the prefix portion of the name must not be longer than 8 characters. The suffix portion of the name must be 3 characters long exactly. Additionally, the path or file name must not contain special charac...
- Convert a 2D shapefile with elevation values to a DXF file
When converting a two-dimensional shapefile that contains elevation values to a DXF file, elevation values are displayed as zero. Additional attribute information about lines and points is extracted from the shape field during the file conversi...
Last Modified: 7/21/2010
Article Rating: (2)